Historical hints

The origins of the Castle of Valverde (Green Valley) are very old: the first traces of its existence go back to the tenth century when the Poliachi ( or Poyacum) Castle was just located in the centre of Vico Fabriciano, the original nucleus of St. Lorenzo’s suburb. Afterwards Valverde Castle becomes Avogadri Castle, as it is inferred from some sixteenth-century documents.

Its  dominant site, which was suitable for a castle, turned out to be  just perfect for a “ villa” (country seat) that could privilege a panoramic sight from there. As a matter of fact, a plaque testifies its last change that  occurred  in 1585 when the Venetian Capitain Paolo Loredan finished the works in order to turn the fortification into his own country residence.

According to the political system of the Venetian Republic, to which Bergamo had been submitted since 1428, the Podesta’ ( or Praetor) would govern the town, while the Capitain (or Prefect) had to administrate the province and attend the military questions.  Among the capitains, Paolo Loredan was entrusted  to complete, in 1588 and starting from  the Fara bastion, the new boundary walls of Bergamo: from the Castle of Valverde Capitain Loredan  managed to oversee all the works.

The present building preserves the sixteenth-century  quadrangular plan that has been obtained by adapting the previous structures. Its plan is pretty like the one that can be seen in an old picture of 1626. Then the original quadrangular plan was provided with some rustic annexes.

In the past the castle happened to belong to Medolago family as well: the coat of arms on top the main portal shows that. Valverde Castle was restored  between 1926 and 1930 when  its owner was Giuseppina Cattaneo of the Scotti Barons. At present  the castle  belongs to the Cattaneo  and  Carrara  families.

Situated in the hilly green area surrounding the Venetian Walls,  Valverde Castle together with  its park is considered one of the most remarkable landscape places in the hills of Bergamo : a wonderful view of the Upper Town can be enjoyed from there.

This post is also available in: Italian